As one of the first cities in the world to ring in the new year, Sydney celebrates New Year’s Eve in truly spectacular style, and there is no better place to be than on the stunning harbour come the strike of 12.
This New Year’s Eve, George’s at Darling Harbour is showcasing the finest Greek hospitality as we mark the passing of another year with an authentic NYE Taverna Night Live, so here’s a little insight into all the festivities on offer.
Sydney’s New Year’s Eve fireworks are famous the world over as the harbour transforms into a massive light show. The event attracts over a million people to the foreshore and commands a global television audience of over 1 billion people.
Over the years the NYE fireworks have grown into a multi-tiered display kicking off with the ‘family friendly’ show at 9pm and the world-renowned midnight spectacular at the strike of 12.
The harbour and particular Sydney Harbour Bridge is the centrepiece of the display, with people lining the foreshore to get a glimpse of a show almost 12 months in the planning.
Darling Harbour is one of the many vantage points for the NYE fireworks, with additional public transport servicing the area throughout the night and into the early morning of January 1.
Fireworks fast facts
- Attendance: 1.6 million
- Global TV audience: over 1 billion
- Budget: $7.2 million (as of 2014-15)
- Vantage points: Sydney Harbour foreshore
New Years at George’s
George’s Mediterranean Bar and Grill is located in the heart of Darling Harbour, and we celebrate New Year’s Eve in style.
This year we’re hosting a NYE Taverna Night Live, with an authentic banquet of mezze, along with drinks, live music and dancing. Tickets are $165 per person, with an early bird discount of $10 for those who book before December 14.
New Year’s tips
With so many people converging on the city for this popular event, planning for the evening is key.
If you’re looking to enjoy Sydney’s night of nights the best advice is:
- Find your vantage point – The fireworks can be seen from vantage points all around the harbour including the Darling Harbour precinct. Some areas are ticketed, and require a pre-booking, while others are alcohol free. You can learn more about vantage points here.
- Plan your night – People start congregating in the most popular vantage points early on New Year’s Eve and the event attracts a massive crowd, so it’s best to plan out where your going, how you intend to get there, and how you are going to get home.
- Book early – If you’re kicking off your night at an event or venue, you need to book early.
- Look to public transport – Many streets in the city are closed to traffic, while ferry services are also suspended. To accommodate the crowds, Sydney runs thousands of extra train, bus and light rail services throughout the period. You can find out more about public transport on NYE here.
- Be patient – NYE is a night like no other in this spectacular harbor city, and it calls for a little patience as more than a million people enter and leave the harbourside precincts.
Located on the King Street Wharf amidst the beauty and excitement of Darling Harbour, George’s Mediterranean Bar and Grill is renowned as one of Sydney’s premier eateries. Come share the hospitality for which we are renowned as we serve up a sensational New Year’s Eve in simply stunning surrounds. You can learn more about our function facilities here, or contact us directly for further advice.